Wednesday, 3 April 2013

week 13 slides and follow-up

Our final bit of wake-up music this morning was, appropriately enough, a synthesis of salsa and jazz, in the form of Tito Puente's reinterpretation of a tricky jazz standard we heard many weeks back: "Take Five." Tito's energy, enthusiasm, and mastery of polyrhythms are a lesson to us all...

In my wrap-up discussion of online research, I mentioned the Internet Archive's Grateful Dead collection, and the Grateful Dead Archive at the University of California, Santa Cruz.

Here are today's slides:



The data visualization website I mentioned is called Many Eyes, which you can find here: www-958.ibm.com/software/analytics/manyeyes/ . However, I also recommend a provocative article by Johanna Drucker that challenges a seemingly innocuous term like "data visualization" from a humanities perspective. You can find her article "Humanities Approaches to Graphical Display" in Digital Humanities Quarterly, and you can check out her Temporal Modelling Project here: www2.iath.virginia.edu/time/project/

Good luck with the final stretch, everyone, and find some time to turn up the music as you celebrate the end of term!