Today's wake-up music: Frank Sinatra, "Luck Be a Lady." Because a good research proposal is like a good Sinatra song -- it's to the point, its parts serve the whole, and a bit of Old Blue Eyes swagger can be just the thing when you need a confidence boost. And a song about gambling seems right for grant application-writing...
The SSHRC documents we discussed today are all linked from the course schedule, or on Blackboard. I mentioned Stanford's Spatial History Project, and quoted from the posting about the project here: http://www.stanford.edu/group/spatialhistory/cgi-bin/site/pub.php?id=29
Here's an excellent book to have on one's shelf generally, and especially to get one into the research-design headspace, which I mentioned very briefly in the lecture:
The SSHRC documents we discussed today are all linked from the course schedule, or on Blackboard. I mentioned Stanford's Spatial History Project, and quoted from the posting about the project here: http://www.stanford.edu/group/spatialhistory/cgi-bin/site/pub.php?id=29
Here's an excellent book to have on one's shelf generally, and especially to get one into the research-design headspace, which I mentioned very briefly in the lecture:
Hughes, W., Lavery, J., & Doran, K. (2009). Critical thinking: an introduction to the basic skills. 6th ed. Peterborough, ON: Broadview.
I also mentioned the reference management software Zotero (also linked in the resources section). There was pretty strong interest expressed today in spending more class time on Zotero, so I will see if I can work something out with our friends at the Inforum.
Next week we sail into relatively uncharted waters in the world of information research methods and consider thinking through making with our first guest speaker, Prof. Matt Ratto. We will continue to discuss the design and proposal of research projects, too, as preparation for assignment 2.
I also mentioned the reference management software Zotero (also linked in the resources section). There was pretty strong interest expressed today in spending more class time on Zotero, so I will see if I can work something out with our friends at the Inforum.
Next week we sail into relatively uncharted waters in the world of information research methods and consider thinking through making with our first guest speaker, Prof. Matt Ratto. We will continue to discuss the design and proposal of research projects, too, as preparation for assignment 2.